Saturday, June 9, 2012

June 8, 2012-- Second Week :D


Soooo its Friday and I don’t really want to be working… haha who does? I think all Fridays should be half days. People who really want to continue to work on a Friday can, but I think we should have the option of half days on Fridays… I’m just saying!

So it’s been another lovely week in Puerto Ayora, with plenty of fun things going on! Monday was just any other Monday: worked worked and played Bananagrams (my new addiction… ask everyone here). Mondays are never too exciting, except that this Monday Maria and David got back from their weekend at work! Yayyy!!! But we still didn’t do much haha just relaxed mostly.

Tuesdays I think have been dubbed kioskos and bongo bar night because I seem to have gone to both of those on Tuesdays since I’ve been here. Kioskos happens at night. There’s a street that is blocked off and its lined with restaurants and they all put tables out in the middle of the street. You pick a spot to sit and then whatever table your at, the server comes and takes your order (the food and beer are super cheap! It’s pretty nice! :) and you also get a tonnnn of food… even nicer!!) After finishing out meals we walk over to the Bongo bar, pretty much the only actual bar in the city, that doesn’t also involve a restaurant. Its super chill up on the 2nd level of the building, and on the 1st level it’s a dance bar (with cheaper drinks and lots of super young people haha of course, the first night we were there, there was this crazy older lady trying to dance with groups of younger people… and her dances moves consisted of flailing her arms around and swinging her hips… her friends just sat back and laughed at her… so did everyone else haha)

Wednesday we heard big news!! David Attenborough had been spotted!! For those of you who don’t know who he is (I don’t remember if I mentioned this before or not) He’s the British man who narrates BBC movies/series like Planet Earth, Frozen Planet, Life, and Blue Planet. We’ve watched a lot of clips from these in my biology classes over the years, and we all LOVE him!! So we all started freaking out. We were determined to get pictures! We would be hunting him down. While at work during the day, I had a professional photographer from England help me and give me tips of my photography and he gave me information on another program (that I might get to work with now! It’s suuuuper nice!)  His advice has helped a lot!! Also on Wednesday, I had to pack up all of my stuff and switch rooms. Deb was leaving Thursday morning to head back to the states to teach her Bio 320 class (which she will be bringing down a week from Monday). It doesn’t pay for me to stay in a room by myself (it costs too much), so I moved into Joe and Jon’s room down the road.

The move happened Thursday morning before work at 8. Then, while at work, around 9:15, Josh came to get me. We were having a meet and greet for Sir David Attenborough!! We were finally going to meet him!! Yayyy!!! We went over to the conference room and got to chat with him for 15 to 20 minutes (The whole time we were all being filmed because this footage is going to be in the Behind the Scenes section of the new 3D IMAX movie that the BBC is filming down here right now!! I’m going to be almost famous! :P okay not really… but still…) We also got a group picture with Sir David, in which, I am literally standing RIGHT next to him!! (Cool beans…). That was a pretty big part of my day :)  Then we had to go back to work (sadly… the event had made going to work seem super boring). After work, Rob, Josh, and I made a run to the supermarket to grab some supplies for the night/weekend. This whole ordeal was pretty eventful, riding back with our supplies on our bikes. Bags ripped, things fell, people almost died… yea… it was nuts (we didn’t almost die, it just sounded good). I came back to the room after our run into town and Joe and Jon had made a fantastic dinner of the fresh fish that was just caught like an hour before we cooked it. So delicious. Then started our night.

We started by playing a few rounds of drinking bananagrams. I never thought that it could actually be so brutal. But it is. Everything happens so quickly. And (for me anyway) things go downhill very quickly when trying to come up with words. Then we played a couple more games (Ride the Bus, in which most people used the whole deck, and Thumper) and said a few more ridiculous things and came up with a few plans to hang out with the tortoises (I’m not touching the animals, the animals are touching me) .  Thursday was our pregame to the pregame…

So today! I work.. until 5.. because its not a half day like I wish it to be. I think its 100 times worse right now too because of the events planned for the weekend. Tonight is the ACTUAL pregame party which is going to follow the soccer game in town tonight (the guys are going to go play, Maria and I will be the cheerleaders! Ha) Then we’re going out to the Bongo bar to have some fun!

Tomorrow is the actual party! Wake up and possibly go to Tortuga Bay (probably not though) Then go to the Volunteer cookout, where is will be drinks all day, including lots of food as well as games and such! Then going out again at night for another round of fun.

And Sunday is the after party, where we will lounge (possibly by a beach) all day until the Colombia vs. Ecuador soccer match will be airing on TV. It’s kind of a big deal… (Go Colombia!! ;) )

Bring on the weekend!! ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment